Carrageenan isolation procedures of various seaweed have been widely developed and done by Kappa carrageenan manufacturers. Generally, this procedure consists of three stages of work namely; extraction, filtration, and precipitation. At the extraction stage, the velocity and solubility of carrageenan in water are affected by the temperature and timing of the joining process of all the carrageenan fractions of the seaweed with the water fraction used as the solvent medium. Carrageenan treatment is still rarely done because it has not been widely known fishermen. Basically, this process is almost the same as the gelatin processing, for example, at the time of extraction of the material used instead of the type of acid but the base type.
Process Of Making Carrageenan
Here are several steps that done by Kappa carrageenan manufacturers to make the carrageenan:
- Seaweed is soaked in fresh water for 12-24 hours, then rinsed and drained.
- After clean, the seaweed is boiled in water with the ratio of seaweed with water at least 1:15, at a temperature of 120 C for 15 minutes. Boil using a pressure cooker. Further boiling without boiling at 100 ° C for 2-3 hours.
- Seaweed is softened with a blender and added hot water (90 C). The comparison is 1:30. The result is filtered with a fine gauze.
- The filtrate is precipitated by adding methyl alcohol at a ratio of 2.5: 1, it can also add 90% alcohol, or freeze it at a temperature of 10 C – 6 ° C for 24-48 hours.
- The alcohol-mixed sediment is filtered with gauze. The results of this filter in the form of wet carrageenan. The frozen filtrate is thawed first for further filtering. The wet carrageenan is dried for 3-4 days.
Carrageenan flour can be obtained after the milling process. Those are the steps taken by Kappa Carrageenan Manufacturers in producing carrageenan. Those are information on how to make practical seaweed carrageenan’s. Hope this can be a reference for you if you want to process and produce processed seaweed alone because, in addition to having a lot of nutritional value, processed seaweed products also have a high enough selling value and many consumers in the market so that it can become seaweed business opportunities for you